Thursday, December 13, 2012

2012 Reading Challenges Wrap Ups


As I don’t think I would be able to dedicate posts for each 2012 reading challenge wrap ups, I will combine several of them in this post.

What’s in a Name 5



1. A book with a topographical feature (land formation) in the title: exp. Black Hills, Purgatory Ridge, Emily of Deep Valley
Genghis Khan: Badai Di Tengah Padang by Sam Djang ['Padang' is field in English] - DONE

2. A book with something you'd see in the sky in the title: exp. Moon Called, Seeing Stars, Cloud Atlas
Pesawat Pos Selatan by Antoine de Saint-Exupery ['Pesawat' is air plane in English] - DONE

3. A book with a creepy crawly in the title: exp. Little Bee, Spider Bones, The Witches of Worm
Laba-Laba dan Jaring Kesayangannya (Charlotte's Web) by E.B. White ['Laba-Laba' is spider in English] - DONE

4. A book with a type of house in the title: exp. The Glass Castle, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Ape House
The Shack by William P. Young - DONE

5. A book with something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack in the title: exp. Sarah's Key, The Scarlet Letter, Devlin Diary
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - DONE

6. A book with something you'd find on a calendar in the title: exp. Day of the Jackal, Elegy for April, Freaky Friday, Year of Magical Thinking
Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas - DONE


~~~


Victorian Challenge 2012


The goal is to tackle 2-6 Victorian related books, audiobooks or movies. I have completed this challenge by reading 10 Victorian books:

1. [DONE] -- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

2. [DONE] -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (video book)

3. [DONE] -- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

4. [DONE] -- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

5. [DONE] -- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

6. [DONE] -- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

7. [DONE] --  Sketches by Boz by Charles Dickens

8. [DONE] -- The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

9. [DONE] -- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

10. [DONE] -- The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde



~~~


Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2012



I have picked the Undoubtedly Obsessed level, to read 15 books, which I have completed! Does it mean I AM Obsessed by historical fiction? Undoubtedly!.. :)

1. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly -- READ

2. Wanita by Paul I. Wellman -- READ

3. Juliet by Anne Fortier -- READ

4. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett -- READ

5. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough -- READ

6. Genghis Khan: Badai Di Tengah Padang by Sam Djang -- READ

7. Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross -- READ

8. Selene (Cleopatra's Daughter) by Michelle Moran - READ

9. Pompeii by Robert Harris -- READ

10. Gadis Kretek by Ratih Kumala -- READ

11. Lust for Life by Irving Stone -- READ

12. Vivaldi's Virgin by Barbara Quick -- READ

13. Pontius Pilatus by Paul L. Maier -- READ

14. The Court of the Lion by Eleanor Cooney and Daniel Altiery -- READ

15. I, Claudius by Robert Graves -- READ



~~~


Books in English Reading Challenge 2012


I have set to read 12 English books in twelve months, and—while I actually ended up reading a lot more than that—I am proudly announcing that I have completed it!

January : Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll - DONE

FebruaryDoctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak - DONE

MarchLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - DONE

AprilL’Assommoir by Emile Zola - DONE

MayCharles Dickens: The Dickens Bicentenary 1812-2012 by Lucinda Dickens Hawksley - DONE

JuneThe Man In The Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas - DONE

JulyThe Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens - DONE

AugustGerminal by Emile Zola - DONE

SeptemberLord of the Flies by William Golding - DONE

OctoberThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - DONE

NovemberGone With The Wind by Margareth Mitchell - DONE

DecemberVivaldi’s Virgins by Barbara Quick - DONE




~~~


For other reading challenges, I have posted dedicated wrap up posts:





~~~

I still have two challenges left, one being the Goodreads challenge (one book left, then I'll complete it); I will post the badge here. The other one is "Receh for Book(s)", it's not a reading challenge but to save every coin we have throughout the year in a tin or box, and at the end of the year we can open it and treat ourselves with book(s) from the coins. I must wait until December 31st for this, and will post here how many I've earned, and what book I'll treat myself with! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Well all the books are fantastic and hope you enjoy your reading. In all of your list I just read only one book Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. One of my friend Download Doctor Zhivago eBook in PDF and share this fantastic novel with me. I read whole story of the novel and really enjoy this great novel.

    ReplyDelete