Monday, November 24, 2014

The 2015 TBR Pile Challenge


This one challenge has proved to be one of the most useful tools in my reading life. As an organized reader, I usually created a reading list each year. Normally I would diligently follow it, but now and then there would be a new published book which is so enticing that I’d be tempted to kick out one or two books from the list to give place for the new comer. And this is why Adam’s TBR Pile Challenge has been very helpful. It helps me to keep on track. It would be hard to neglect a book that is listed in two challenges, as it means I would be failed in both, right?

So, I’m going to do this challenge again next year, and here is my list, complete with the publication date of my copies:

  • The Last Dickens – Matthew Pearl (2010)
  • True History of the Kelly Gang – Peter Carey (2006) – Ind. translation
  • The Bleak House – Charles Dickens (1994)
  • The Ringmaster’s Daughter – Jostein Gaarder (2006) – Ind. translation
  • The Confessions – St. Augustine Hyppo (2002)
  • Empress – Shan Sa (2012) – Ind. translation
  • Far from the Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy (2012)
  • Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky (2001)
  • The Fortune of Rougons – Emile Zola (2012)
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy – Irving Stone (1987)
  • The Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood (2001)
  • The Golden Bowl – Henry James (2000)


Alternates:
  • The Call of the Wild – Jack London (1992)
  • Siddhartha – Herman Hesse (1999)


Will you participate too? Here’s the sign up page of Roof Beam Reader’s Official 2015 TBR Pile Challenge.


12 comments:

  1. I am yet to ever finish the TBR Challenge, but I'm definitely in again for 2015. It's a tradition! You've got a great list - and I see Le Morte D'Arthur... That really ought to be on my list.

    I need to have a think! One of my bad habits for new year challenges is listing horrendous books thinking I'm *bound* to read then at some point! :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the TBR challenge has become a tradition now. One of the most challenges I am expecting every end of the year. ;)

      Actually, I have been dreading Le Morte D'Arthur. I have browsed a few pages, and it seemed a bit boring. I hope I was wrong...

      Delete
  2. I love your list. The Agony and the Ecstasy and Far From the Madding Crowd are two of my favorite books. I've been wanting to read the Matthew Pearl books for a long time (have had them for years!) I should've tossed one onto my list as well... ah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Agony and the Ecstasy is my most anticipated from the list, thanks to you (partly) !

      I have read 2 Matthew Pearl's, the Poe Shadow and Dante Club, and loved them both. I heard that his latest book is going to be published on 2015, and it's about Robert Louis Stevenson! I wish he keeps writing about classics authors in the future; Shakespeare's or Zola's would be awesome. ;)

      Delete
  3. Far From the Madding Crowd is a great book! There's even a new film version coming out this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Then it's about time I should read it. This is going to be my first Hardy, I hope I'd love him!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to do this challenge again myself this year. Like you, it's one of my favorites. The Last Dickens is also on my TBR shelf, but I'm not sure if it will make the list or not. I think I will like it, though maybe I should add it.

    I also have The Agony and the Ecstasy, which I have been wanting to read for decades now.

    Bleak House is a great classic, and Far From the Madding Crowd is one of my favorite Hardys.

    Enjoy your Pile and read on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned to read The Last Dickens on February--as it has been my tradition to read any Dickenish book on his birthmonth.

      Delete
  5. Some great books on your list! Bleak House is my all-time favorite Dickens, it is just wonderful. (Also a great BBC TV adaptation from 2005). I also loved The Blind Assassin. I've put all non-fiction books on my TBR pile challenge list, but I'm going to try and read Hardy for the Back to the Classics Challenge! I think I'll have to read Far From the Madding Crowd because I keep hearing so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to read Bleak House partly because you kept promoting it as you fave Dickens :)

      Far From the Madding Crowd is one of my most anticipated in this list too...

      Delete
  6. Wow - this is an intense list in the best possible way. I really need to read The Blind Assassin soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitie... I've been curious about Margaret Atwood for sometime, so I'm looking forward to finally read her.

      Delete