Friday, January 16, 2015

Lucky No. 15 Reading Challenge


I know I know!….I should have stopped signing up to more reading challenges (I have entered 5, although my first intention was only 3, and it’s not included my own challenge!). But this one is irresistible! Astrid is hosting it for second round (I have missed the first one), so I think I would try my luck this year! (and 15 is my birth date... :D).

This challenge will require you to read 15 books (or more) from 15 categories below:

Chunky Brick: Grab that book with more than 500 pages that you’d always been afraid to tackle. You know you can do it!
My pick: The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (637 pages)

Something New: Just purchased a book lately? Don’t let it buried in your stacks, read it now!
My pick: The Dreyfus Affair: J’Accuse and Other Writings by Émile Zola

Something Borrowed: Read a book that you borrowed from someone else. Don’t make the owner waiting forever for you to finish it. (Books borrowed from friends, libraries, or even rental places, are allowed)
My pick: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kessey (will borrow from Melisa)

It’s Been There Forever: Dig your TBR pile and read a book that has been there more than a year. It’s time for you to appreciate it :)
My pick: True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey

Freebies Time: What’s the LAST free book you’ve got? Whether it’s from giveaway, a birthday gift or a surprise from someone special, don’t hold back any longer. Open the book and start reading it now :D
My pick: Dunia Anna (Anna) by Jostein Gaarder (it’s a gift from my secret Santa—whom I have not uncovered the identity yet! :P)

Bargain All The Way: Ever buying a book because it’s so cheap you don’t really care about the content? Now it’s time to open the book and find out whether it’s really worth your cents.
My pick: Vita Brevis by Jostein Gaarder (I never buy books without being certain I would like to read the content, but this book was really cheap—about $1.5 perhaps—and hopefully the content worth more than ithe price.)

Favorite Color: Pick a book from your shelf which has your favorite color for its cover! Is it pink, red or black? You decide.
My pick: Empress by Shan Sa (Red is my favorite color, and I love this book's wine-red color)

First Initial: Read a book that has been written by an author whose first initial is the same with you (Example: My name is Astrid, and I can read anything written by Agatha Christie, Aesop, Arthur Conan Doyle, etc)
My pick: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Super Series: Read one (or more!) books that belong in a series, it can be trilogy, or tetralogy, or anything.
My pick: The Moor by Laurie R. King (#4 of Mary Russell-Sherlock Holmes series)

Opposites Attract: Read a book that’s been written by a writer whose gender is different from your own.
My pick: The Walden by Henry David Thoreau (this is the easiest category so far!)

Randomly Picked: Ask someone else (a friend, your spouse, even your kids!) to randomly pick a book from your TBR pile. Don’t complain whatever they choose for you, just read it :)
My pick: The Golden Bowl by Henry James (I asked Mr. Random to pick it for me from this pic—bottom to top, and he picked no. 12, which is on the top :D)



Cover Lust: Grab a book from your shelf that you bought because you fell in love with the cover. Is the content as good as the cover?
My pick: Far From A Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Who Are You Again?: You’ve never read a book from this author, maybe you haven’t even heard his/her name before. But who knows? Maybe he/she will become your new favorite author!
My pick:  Pere Goriot by Honore de Balzac

One Word Only!: Read a book that only has one word for its title (number is allowed as long as it’s only consisted of one word, e.g: 1, 2, 11).
My pick: Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Dream Destination: Read a book that has setting in a place you’ve never visited before – but would like to if you have a chance. Could be real places or even fictional!
My pick:  Bleak House by Charles Dickens (because I’d really love to visit London if I had chance… someday… hopefully… ).

If you’re interested in joining, just visit Astrid’s blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment