Tuesday, August 27, 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge – Day 13: Underappreciated Classic Everyone Should Read



I am fond of classics literature, and I have been wondering for sometimes, why this particular book has never been quite appreciated as a classic.

Winnetou by Karl May



Karl May is a German writer, and recognized as the most read writer of German tongue. He is good in adventures in the Wild West stories; most of them were written before he actually went to those exotic places he described so vividly in the novel.

Winnetou is a chief of Indian Apache tribe. In the tribe’s struggles from the whites’ invasion, Winnetou met a German wild-westerner with a nickname ‘Old Shatterhand’. Old Shatterhand is believed to be May’s alter ego. The bond of their friendship is so tight, and symbolizes that love and humanity exist beyond races, religion, or other social backgrounds. Against the never ending disputes between the reds and the whites, Winnetou and Old Shatterhand believe that men are all the same, and instead of killing each other, we all should live together in peace.

In Winnetou, we can see the Christian values, although he is not a Christian. It also proves that Christianity doesn’t always mean that we must be Catholics or Christian, the values are the most important thing, because it speaks of LOVE, which is the basic of any other religions in the world.

The book was published as a sequel of four books. It was not widely published at first, but fortunately, Indonesia was in the short list. When I was just leaving my comfort zone of adventure novels, my father introduced me into the first ‘must-read’ book about humanity: Winnetou. And I fell in love with it instantly, the actions were awesome, and the moral values were of great influence to me.

Have you heard about Winnetou? Have you read it?


~~~~~~~~~

Day 1 - 15 Book Related Confessions
Day 2 - Bedtime Reading Ritual
Day 3 - Blogging BFFs
Day 4 - Last Book I Didn't Finish
Day 5 - A Tear-Jerker
Day 6 - How I Shop for Books
Day 7 - My Blogging Quirks
Day 8 - 15 Things Appeals to Me on Blogs
Day 9 - Why I Blog About Books
Day 10 - Choosing Books To Read Next
Day 11 - Five of My Best Blog Posts
Day 12 - Blogger Fatigue? Never!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of it before. My underappreciated classic is also German but a lesser known work of the most well known German writer. But I'm only on day 10 so that post isn't up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you do this challenge too. Keep posting, I'll look around when I have time... :)

      Delete